Friday, May 6, 2016

Morrie reflection blog

Michael Hoover
Morrie reflection blog
5/3/16
Prompt: Explain how the past four Socratic Seminars have influenced your thinking about Tuesdays with Morrie and life in general.

What trends did you notice with yourself and your personal goals for each seminar? How did your personal goal(s) change and what did you actively do to change throughout our last four discussions?

What trends did you notice with the class for each seminar? What did you notice that helped or hindered a specific seminar?


The way that the past four Socratic seminars changed my view on Morrie was in the way he helped people. What I mean by this is that at first we learned that yeah Morrie was a good person. Second seminar we learned a little bit more about him and how he would help people even more. An example of this is during the war when students that did not pull their grades were getting drafted, Morrie gave them all A's. Then in the third and fourth Socratic seminars we learned that when he slipped into a coma he waited until there was nobody in the room that he was in and then he took that as his chance to die. Something that I have learned in general about life from the four Socratic seminars that we did was to appreciate everything that I have, really appreciate. I know people in a lot of cases say that they are so happy to be alive. Then they never really realize how precious  it is until they get a taste of it going away whether that be sickness or a near death experience.

The trends that I noticed in my personal goals was that I reached most of them and also that I could have made them a little bit better. The way that my personal goals changed was from like talking more to actually trying to guide the conversation a little bit with the class. Things that I did to be active in the last three Socratic seminars was buy coming up with more engaging questions to try to bring people into the conversation and also to have myself think more.


Some trends that I noticed with the class was that some people did not really get the chance to talk a lot. I know that the person next to me tried to talk a lot more then she actually did. Another trend with the whole class was that people really only stayed of the same topic sometimes like when we talked about dying that was basically what we talked about for most of the Socratic seminar. A thing that helped the seminar was when somebody spoke up and was actually able to change the topic. one thing that I noticed that did help the seminar was when people were actually relating to Morrie with their personal life's. I think that this really brought people into the conversation because everybody was paying attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment